Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers, split
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute, salt and 2-1/2 cups milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. Place tops of ladyfingers on an ungreased baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and milk; lightly brush over ladyfingers. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Spread custard over the bottoms of ladyfingers. Replace tops. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 each: 129 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.