Ladybug Cake Recipe
This cake will steal the show at your next party. It is really easy to make. I baked the batter in a bowl, colored the frosting a vivid red with paste food coloring and used licorice and gumdrop trims.—Lenore Walters, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups vanilla frosting
- Red paste food coloring
- 2 large white gumdrops
- 3 large black gumdrops
- 1 rope black licorice
- 1 shoestring black licorice
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and mayonnaise on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. ovenproof bowl.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to a wire rack to cool completely. Place on a serving plate.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Spread over cake. For eyes, flatten white gumdrops and shape into ovals; place on ladybug. Cut black gumdrops horizontally into three slices; discard tops. Slightly flatten slices; place two on white gumdrops for pupils, securing with a toothpick if necessary. Arrange remaining slices on body for spots, pressing down gently.
- 4. Cut rope licorice into six pieces; insert into cake for legs. Cut a small piece from the shoestring licorice; add for mouth. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 304 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Ladybug Cake
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2011
"Its just plain ugly!!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC