- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups vanilla frosting
- Red paste food coloring
- 2 large white gumdrops
- 3 large black gumdrops
- 1 rope black licorice
- 1 shoestring black licorice
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and mayonnaise on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. ovenproof bowl.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to a wire rack to cool completely. Place on a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Spread over cake. For eyes, flatten white gumdrops and shape into ovals; place on ladybug. Cut black gumdrops horizontally into three slices; discard tops. Slightly flatten slices; place two on white gumdrops for pupils, securing with a toothpick if necessary. Arrange remaining slices on body for spots, pressing down gently.
- Cut rope licorice into six pieces; insert into cake for legs. Cut a small piece from the shoestring licorice; add for mouth. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Ladybug Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p15
Reviews for Ladybug Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2011
"Its just plain ugly!!"