Lady Baltimore Cake Recipe
I first made this cake for my fathers' birthday and now it is the only cake that he requests. This cake has complex flavors with the raisin-fig filling and is very unique. —Cleo Gonske, Redding, California
- 1-2/3 cups raisins, chopped
- 8 dried figs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and figs. Add brandy; toss to combine. Let stand, covered, at room temperature about 2 hours or until brandy is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. round cake pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended. Add buttermilk, butter and vanilla; beat on low speed 30 seconds or just until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla and enough cream to reach desired consistency. For filling, remove 1 cup frosting to a small bowl; stir in pecans and raisin mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Add another cake layer; top with remaining filling. Add remaining cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Lady Baltimore Cake in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p182
Reviews for Lady Baltimore Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review