I first made this cake for my fathers' birthday and now it is the only cake that he requests. This cake has complex flavors and is very unique. —Cleo Gonske, Redding, California
Featured In: Classic Cake Recipes Made from Scratch
- 1-2/3 cups raisins, chopped
- 8 dried figs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and figs. Add brandy; toss to combine. Let stand, covered, at room temperature about 2 hours or until brandy is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. round cake pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended. Add buttermilk, butter and vanilla; beat on low speed 30 seconds or just until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla and enough cream to reach desired consistency. For filling, remove 1 cup frosting to a small bowl; stir in pecans and raisin mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Add another cake layer; top with remaining filling. Add remaining cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Lady Baltimore Cake in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p182
Reviews for Lady Baltimore Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review