Lactose-Free Macaroni & Cheese
“My family never gets tired of this recipe and can't seem to get enough of it, it's so good,” exclaims Pam Kaiser of Mansfield, Missouri. This is a very flavorful option for those who are lactose-intolerant.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons crumbled soft tofu
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place soy
- milk and tofu in a blender. While processing, gradually add oil in a
- steady stream. Add the yeast flakes if desired, soy sauce, turmeric,
- garlic salt and paprika; cover and process until smooth.
- Drain macaroni; toss with sauce mixture. Transfer to a 3-cup baking
- dish coated with cooking spray; dot with margarine. Bake, uncovered,
- at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 354 calories, 29 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.