Even after more than 50 years of marriage, I love to bake and cook for family and friends. The recipe for these rolls stuffed with cabbage and ground beef has been in my files for years.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt, pepper and seasoned salt to taste
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening and salt. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large saucepan, cook cabbage and onion until tender.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the meat, cabbage mixture, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. square. Cut into 4-in. squares. Place 1/4 cup filling in the center of each. Bring corners over filling; pinch to seal.
- 5. Place, seam side down, on greased baking sheets. Do not let rise. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 32 buns.
Reviews for Krautburgers
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC