- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whiskey or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place almonds in an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring several times. When cool, process in a food processor until finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, whiskey or juice and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and reserved almonds; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into 3-in. logs. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; shape into crescents. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned.
- Carefully roll warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Kourambiethes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p68
Reviews for Kourambiethes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review