Kohlrabi 'n' Carrot Bake Recipe
We love kohlrabies from our garden, but it is difficult to find many recipes that use this flavorful vegetable. This one is wonderful!
- 3 medium kohlrabies, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. Place kohlrabies and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vegetable mixture, parsley and lemon juice. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 141 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC