Kittens N Mittens Cake
Furry friends from Julie Todd's party set inspired our home economists to bake a "purrfect" complementary cake. Wait and see—guests are sure to be drawn to this dessert...quicker than a cat to a mouse. Using a standard cake mix to keep their creation on the quick-and-easy side, our kitchen staff simply shaped felines and mittens using Julie's fun patters Then food coloring brightened up old-
12-15 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- Red, blue, brown and black paste food coloring
- 1 piece red pull-apart licorice twist (9 inches)
- Mix cake according to package directions; pour batter into a greased
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan lined with waxed paper. Bake at
- 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes; invert onto a wire
- rack. Remove pan and waxed paper; cool completely.
- For frosting, combine butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar in
- a bowl. Beat on high for 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; blend in
- cream and extract.
- Place 1/2 cup frosting each in two small bowls. Add red food coloring
- to one bowl and blue to the other. Place 2 tablespoons white
- frosting each into five custard cups. With brown food coloring, tint
- one cup cream, one tan and one brown. With black food coloring, tint
- one gray and one black.