- out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto
- rack to cool completely. Transfer cake to a large platter or covered
- board. (15-in. x 12-in.).
- In a saucepan, combine cake flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room
- temperature. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar and
- vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until sugar is dissolved and
- frosting is fluffy.
- Place 2 tablespoons frosting each in three bowls; tint one pink, one
- yellow and one purple. Place 3/4 cup frosting in a bowl; tint blue.
- Frost top of cake blue and sides white. Form three clouds with some
- of the white frosting (see photo); set remaining white frosting
- With the point of a toothpick draw two small kites and two large
- kites on the blue frosting (see photo). Fill in kites with some of
- the purple, pink and yellow frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or heavy-duty resealable
- plastic bag; insert round tip #3 (or pipe directly from bag). Fill
- bag with remaining purple frosting; pipe kite strings on the two
- small kites. Repeat with yellow and pink frosting on medium kites.
- Pipe colored bows on the top of kite strings.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of another pastry or plastic bag;
- insert round tip #3. Fill bag with remaining white frosting; pipe
- crossbars and an outline around each kite. Using round tip #7, pipe
- a border around top edge of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: Use of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change tips for different designs.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 483 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.