Kite Birthday Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cake flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pink, yellow, purple and blue gel or paste food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and bananas.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto rack to cool completely. Transfer cake to a large platter or covered board. (15-in. x 12-in.).
- 3. In a saucepan, combine cake flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until sugar is dissolved and frosting is fluffy.
- 4. Place 2 tablespoons frosting each in three bowls; tint one pink, one yellow and one purple. Place 3/4 cup frosting in a bowl; tint blue. Frost top of cake blue and sides white. Form three clouds with some of the white frosting (see photo); set remaining white frosting aside.
- 5. With the point of a toothpick draw two small kites and two large kites on the blue frosting (see photo). Fill in kites with some of the purple, pink and yellow frosting.
- 6. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; insert round tip #3 (or pipe directly from bag). Fill bag with remaining purple frosting; pipe kite strings on the two small kites. Repeat with yellow and pink frosting on medium kites. Pipe colored bows on the top of kite strings.
- 7. Cut a small hole in the corner of another pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip #3. Fill bag with remaining white frosting; pipe crossbars and an outline around each kite. Using round tip #7, pipe a border around top edge of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: Use of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change tips for different designs.
1 piece: 483 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.