Kiss from a Vampire Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter.
- 3. Place half of the circles on greased baking sheets. Place a 1 teaspoon of jam in the center of each circle; top with remaining circles and press edges lightly to seal. Use a toothpick to poke two small holes (resembling a vampire bite) in the top of each cookie.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. (Jam will escape from tops of cookies as they bake.) Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Kiss from a Vampire Cookies
"I should have listened to those who previously reviewed. I don't know how ToH got these to ooze, they don't. I made 2 batches and tried increasing the temp to 350. I ended up making stage blood and drippling it from the bite holes. They do taste great, but they didn't begin to set at 12 minutes, not even after increasing the temp. ToH, help us figure out why we can't make them ooze."
"People loved this when I served them. However, it was hard to get a tight seal on the edges and I had to bake them longer in order to get the jam to ooze out. Then there was an empty pocket with just a taste of jam inside when they did ooze. I will make them again without the "bite" because my husband loved them, and I can't resist a challenge."
"perhaps more jam? would make it ooze"
"These cookies taste great, but even though I followed the directions, they didn't ooze jelly, which was disappointing."