King Cake with Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red, blue, yellow and green food coloring
- Unroll both tubes of crescent dough and separate into triangles. Place triangles on a greased 12-in. pizza pan, forming a ring with pointed ends facing toward the center and wide ends overlapping. Lightly press wide ends together.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spoon over wide ends of ring. In another bowl, stir the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese mixture.
- Fold points over filling and fold wide ends over points. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Divide icing among three bowls. Using red and blue food coloring, tint one portion purple. Tint another portion yellow and the remaining portion green. Drizzle over cake. Serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for King Cake with Cream Cheese Filling(2)
Sort By :
Crescent rolls do not really make a good substitute, the flavor just isn't the same. I used puff pastry sheets with the cream cheese filling and everyone liked it.
I used to live in the New Orleans area and this is a pretty good substitute for the real thing. Much easier than making the sweet yeast dough. Best served warm. You could also leave out the cinnamon/brown sugar mix add a little fruit pie filling such as cherries, apples, blueberries, or peaches. Just don't over fill it.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >