Kielbasa Summer Salad Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tart apples, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown sausage. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine peas, apples, green pepper, onions and sausage.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Pour over sausage mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 10 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-fat smoked turkey sausage) equals 192 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 fat.