Kielbasa Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook celery and onion until tender. Stir in split peas and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the kielbasa, carrots, potatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and remaining water. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 208 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Reviews for Kielbasa Split Pea Soup
"Delicious! The only thing I did differently was I chopped up the carrots and celery instead of slicing them."
"This is truly comfort food. It's rich, creamy taste is excellent with crusty French bread. It is great for cold weather, but we love it anytime."
"This soup was very good."
"I added a pint of heavy whipping cream at the end and served with corn bread."
"It is very tasty but this way of cooking is not great because why do we need cook celery and onion not with another weg.? It is easly tp cook together with carrots ets and onion and celery will not be so mashy. I cooked the peas little bit with salt till partly cooked then I have added everything at once."
"Nice twist to pea soup. worked great and very easy."
"Very delicious soup."
"Typical pea soup haters, my kids and I all love this recipe. It's great when you have just a handful of carrots, celery, and potatoes leftover."
"I was shocked at how much my kids liked this. The kielbasa makes it a family friendly pea soup."
"I made your recipe today and thought it was great. This is the best Kielbasa Split Pea Soup I've ever had...thank you for sharing"
"My 13 year old and I loved this soup. But she seid she wanted more sausage....of course lol we loved this"
"Have made this several times. I skip the potatoes. I do have to allow for more time for the peas to soften."
"Easy to prepare and delicious! Too bad it isn't a "prettier" soup!"
"We love this recipe on a cold winter day. It's healthy and hearty. Makes for great leftovers."
"This is a tasty healthy soup. Sometimes I add cubed ham instead of the kielbasa. Very easy to prepare too."
"This is delicious"
"Turkey kielbasa brings great flavor to this simple split pea soup. It’s been a hit with my entire family—even our picky toddler enjoys it. –Sandra Bonde of Brainerd, MinnesotaView this recipe now"