Kielbasa Split Pea Soup Recipe
Turkey kielbasa brings great flavor to this simple split pea soup. It’s been a hit with my entire family—even our picky toddler enjoys it. –Sandra Bonde of Brainerd, Minnesota
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook celery and onion until tender. Stir in split peas and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the kielbasa, carrots, potatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and remaining water. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 208 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC