Kielbasa Skillet Stew Recipe
I grew up on a Montana ranch, and this dish reminds me of the kind we used to prepare for the hay and harvest crews. The bacon and sausage provide rich flavor to this comforting. When I make this dish, I share a taste of my country memories with my family. -Machelle Lewis, Henderson, Nevada
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 12-in. skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel to drain. Cook sausage and onions in drippings over medium heat until onion is tender; drain.
- 2. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over stew. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 269 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 993 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC