Kielbasa Potato Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Split Rope Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 kale leaves, torn or 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or 2% milk
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown kielbasa and bacon; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Add onion; cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add the potatoes, bouillon and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add the meat mixture and kale; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until kale is wilted. Reduce heat. Add the cream; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 cups.
1 cup (prepared with turkey sausage, reduced-sodium bouillon and 2% milk) equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 852 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.