Kielbasa Potato Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 kale leaves, torn or 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or 2% milk
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown kielbasa and bacon; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Add onion; cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add the potatoes, bouillon and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add the meat mixture and kale; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until kale is wilted. Reduce heat. Add the cream; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 cups.
1 cup: 190 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Kielbasa Potato Chowder
"Delicious! I used the 2% milk and it wasn't as creamy as I would have liked so I stirred 1/2 cup of light sour cream into it and to me it really improved the taste without adding many calories."
"Delicious! I'll definitely make this again."
"Everyone loved it!"
"I made it with parsley because I did not have kale leaves. Came out very tasty thank you."
"Awesome recipe!! I didnt have parsley leaves so thats the only thing I didnt do. Followed the recipe to a T and it was perfect. Thank you!"
"I love, love, love this recipe. It goes together quickly and easily and is absolutely delicious! I have used Hickory Farms light kielbasa as well as Hickory Farms turkey smoked sausage. I usually keep the skin on the potatoes, I have also used red potatoes for this recipe. I always use kale and have used 2% milk instead of the heavy cream to keep it on the light side. Heated up the next day it is even better!"
"My husband LOVES this recipe! perfect for a cold evening and easy to fix too!"