Kielbasa Cabbage Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan or nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add the potatoes, cabbage, onion, broth, 1/2 cup water, sugar, caraway and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add beans and vinegar; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-3/4 cups) equals 322 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 1,143 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Kielbasa Cabbage Stew
"I got this recipes years ago from a Taste of Home magazine. I absolutely love it! Misplaced the recipe, googled it and it came up - so excited to have it back. Delicious."
"Excellent. 3 small potatoes = 1 lb. 2 c. = ½ small head of cabbage."
"My family loved this recipe! There were no leftovers after the 4 of us adults ate...so good! Has a great german flavor."
"Easy, fast & filling. Not to mention great taste!"
"We liked this stew but we made some changes. We used red beans,cut the sugar to 1 teaspoon, and added vinegar to taste starting at a teaspoon at a time. good"