- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the cabbage, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine the water, vinegar and brown sugar; add to cabbage mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
Sort By :
"My family loves this recipe, including the kids. I do sauté the sausage first, to bring out the flavor. I remove the sausage and add the onion, cabbage, and garlic to the drippings, and sauté. I leave out the caraway seeds, because I do not care for them in anything I cook."
"Excellent. I used balsamic vinegar which gave it a very unique flavor. Everyone asks for the recipe after tasting it."
"Excellent!. I used fully cooked chicken sausage with apples and a combination of chicken broth, bouillon and water. I would definitely make this soup again."
"I made this soup tonight and it turned out fantastic! I made some small changes -- used broth instead of water and cole slaw instead of a cabbage head. I rated, reviewed and photographed my version: http://scrumptiouscyn.com/kielbasa-cabbage-soup/ Thanks for the great recipe!"
"My family loves this soup. It's a winner!"