- 4-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except the sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add sausage and heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Kielbasa Bean Soup
"Took this to our Lenten supper at church tonight. It was a huge hit. I have made it before and froze it in 2 serving portions for my husband and I. Wonderful recipe."
"This was hit with the entire family! Thanks for a great recipe!"
"This was a thick, yummy soup! I had a red and orange pepper so I used those. Also had beef boullion and used the whole pound of sausage. When I make it again, I might add a little more water and seasoning to accommodate an extra can of beans. Very easy to make, too."
"I have made this soup for work a couple of times and have had requests for the recipe both times. It has a very good flavor and is easy to make."