Kielbasa Apple Kabobs
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman relies on sausage to make these colorful kabobs different from most. The meaty chunks are skewered with tart apples and colorful peppers, then basted with a mild sweet glaze.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium tart apples, cut into wedges
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cranberry
- juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened.
- On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread sausage, apples
- and peppers. Grill, uncovered, over indirect heat for 8 minutes or
- until heated through, turning and brushing with glaze occasionally.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat turkey sausage) equals 168 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat.