Kidney Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 252 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein
Reviews for Kidney Beans and Rice
"Very tasty, very healthful, very easy. I used brown rice and precooked it."
"It was fine considering it is a recipe for beans and rice. Healthy, cheap, and tasted okay."
"We loved it prepared as written, but I?d like to try Great Northern Beans, Turkey, and a little curry."
"Very easy and very tasty. I didn't have stewed tomatoes, so I used regular canned tomatoes along with chopped celery and green pepper that I cooked along with the meat to soften."