Kidney Beans and Rice
I developed this recipe while working for a rehabilitation home. It was a success with everyone who tried it. I soon started making it for my family, who gave it rave reviews.—Cherie Gresham, Killen, Alabama
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice; cover and simmer for 30
- minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Cajun-style diced tomatoes can be used in place of the regular stewed tomatoes in Kidney Beans and Rice.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 252 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.