Kidney Bean Vegetable Soup
"My family loves this vegetable soup," pens Lillian Palko from her Napa, California home. Chock-full of kidney beans, celery, spinach, carrots, zucchini and tomatoes, the comforting broth is ideal to serve on cool autumn days with a loaf of crusty bread or warm biscuits.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking barley
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the
- barley and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes; heat through.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 103 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 939 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.