"My family loves this vegetable soup," pens Lillian Palko from her Napa, California home. Chock-full of kidney beans, celery, spinach, carrots, zucchini and tomatoes, the comforting broth is ideal to serve on cool autumn days with a loaf of crusty bread or warm biscuits.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking barley
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the barley and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p53
Reviews for Kidney Bean Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review