Kidney Bean Tostadas Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beans, chili powder and cumin in 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.
- 3. Spoon bean mixture over tortillas. Top with lettuce, sour cream and remaining salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 tostada equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.