Kidney Bean Tostadas Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beans, chili powder and cumin in 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.
- 3. Spoon bean mixture over tortillas. Top with lettuce, sour cream and remaining salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 tostada equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Kidney Bean Tostadas
"It works well as a taco, using the beans in place of the beef."
"Great flavor and very easy to make! Very filling!"
"I would also recommend using two cans of beans."
"The flavors are really good in this recipe. However we had a very hard time with the tortillas. They are too big to pick up and too hard to cut with a fork. We ended up dumping the topping off and using the tortilla like a large chip. Next time I'll probably cut the tortilla into chips and just have them like that."