I'm always looking for nutritious and tasty meals that do not take a lot to time to prepare," says Carol Strong Battle of Hearthsville, Virginia. "I created this bean and sausage dish by combining ingredients I happened to have on hand. I makes a filling and satisfying supper."
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion and broth; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Kidney Bean Sausage Supper in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p52
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Kidney Bean Sausage Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2011
"I've made this several times. I highly recommend it."