Kidney Bean Sausage Supper
I'm always looking for nutritious and tasty meals that do not take a lot to time to prepare," says Carol Strong Battle of Hearthsville, Virginia. "I created this bean and sausage dish by combining ingredients I happened to have on hand. I makes a filling and satisfying supper."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion and broth; cover and
- cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and
- tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls over rice.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup sausage mixture, calculated without rice) equals 337 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,564 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as