I'm always looking for nutritious and tasty meals that do not take a lot to time to prepare," says Carol Strong Battle of Hearthsville, Virginia. "I created this bean and sausage dish by combining ingredients I happened to have on hand. I makes a filling and satisfying supper."
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion and broth; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Kidney Bean Sausage Supper in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p52
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Kidney Bean Sausage Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2011
"I've made this several times. I highly recommend it."