Kickin' Red Pepper Jelly Recipe
- 5 medium sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 3-1/4 cups sugar
- 1. Place red peppers, jalapenos and garlic in a blender; cover and process until finely chopped. Set aside 1/2 cup; puree remaining pepper mixture.
- 2. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place pureed pepper mixture in strainer; cover with edges of cheesecloth. Let stand 30 minutes or until liquid measures 1-1/2 cups.
- 3. Discard pepper pulp puree from cheesecloth or save for another use; place liquid in a large saucepan. Stir in vinegars, lemon juice, pectin and reserved pepper mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- 4. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 5. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Editor’s Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
2 tablespoons: 86 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.