This crispy, dainty pastry pastry dusted with confectioners' sugar has an eggy flavor similar to cream puffs. I honor my Ukrainian heritage by serving khrustyky on Christmas Eve as part of the traditional feast of 12 dishes. Each dish symbolizes on of the apostles.Carol Funk, Richard, Saskatchewan
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Beat in
- sugar. Combine flour and salt; stir into the egg mixture just until
- smooth (dough will be soft). Divide into four portions.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out one portion to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut into 1-1/2-in. strips; cut strips diagonally into three pieces.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. slit lengthwise into the center of each piece; pull
- one end of strip through slit to make a loop. Cover shaped pieces
- while rolling out and cut the remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 2-3 in. of oil to
- 375°. Fry pastries, a few at a time, until golden brown, turning
- once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar while
- warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen pastries.