While in Russia, where we adopted our two children, my husband and I discovered these marvelous cheese pies. The traditional pastries can be served with a salad for a celebratory supper or shaped into bite-sized hors d’oeuvres. —Rachel Sauder, Tremont, Illinois
- 3-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces brick cheese, shredded
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in butter and honey. In another bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, salt and coriander; gradually add to yeast mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six balls. Roll each into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine egg and cheese. Mound about 1/2 cup cheese mixture in the center of each circle. Fold dough over filling, gathering and twisting into a knot to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Let stand for 10 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 roll: 511 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein .
Reviews for Khachapuri
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC