- 3-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces brick cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in butter and honey. In another bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, salt and coriander; gradually add to yeast mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six balls. Roll each into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and cheese. Mound about 1/2 cup cheese mixture in the center of each circle. Fold dough over filling, gathering and twisting into a knot to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Let stand for 10 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Khachapuri in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p32
Reviews for Khachapuri
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review