Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 drop green food coloring, optional
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 7-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in water and food coloring if desired. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lime juice, butter and lime peel.
- 3. Pour into crust. Cool for 15 minutes. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 321 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Key Lime Pie
"I made it as is, then tasted it and it lacked that amazing lime lavor of other recipes. I upped the key lime juice to 3 tbsp. and it still lacked that lime flavor of other recipes. I am leary of adding too much juice so maybe when it's not going on the Thanksgiving table I will play around with the recipe some more. I really liked that this recipe doesn't call for any milk product, as we are lactose intolerant."
"Very easy straightforward instructions, nice flavor but I did increase the juice and zest because we like very tart desserts."