Key Lime Bread Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lime peel, juice and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough lime juice to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely.
- 4. Freeze option: Do not make glaze. Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare glaze as directed. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 173 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Key Lime Bread
"Excellent. Love this recipe."
"I've tried this recipe several times ... The flavor was def there but lacked moisture in the bread ... I added 1 cup sour cream to the batter and stirred in the lime zest last .... For the frosting, I used: 1 (8oz) cream cheese, 1-1/4 c conf sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, about 3 Tblsp lime juice (adding 1 Tblsp at a time, taste, add more to achieve the sweet/tart balance) and about 1 Tblsp lime zest ........... Spread frosting liberally over the top of each loaf .............. AWESOME!"
"Delicious! Our 7 year old grandson loves this .....and helping me make it"
"Have this in the oven now and I added about 3/4 cup of diced fresh strawberries that needed to be used. Smells wonderful, and as others suggested, I doubled the juice/zest amounts. Also thought about adding diced fresh peaches another time. Skipped the nuts as I didn't want to take time to toast and cool them as I ALWAYS toast nuts to go in a recipe. Had I thought about it in time, I would have added a drop or two of green food coloring.WHOA ! Just came out of the oven....what a KEEPER this is.......YUMMO !!! Excellent flavor and texture.Just HAD to sample it while it was still warm....didn't even bother with the glaze.
"Great.....Just the way the recipe reads."
"I used Meyer lemons from a friend's tree , increasing the zest and juice a bit. Also halved the recipe to make one loaf. easy and delicious. One of my "keepers.""
"Great! For a change up use lemon or orange. Al ways a winner here."
"You can only eat so much banana bread! - This is a delightful loaf with a little tartness. Icing is fab. Make this several times a year."
"Definitely a nice change from Banana or Pumpkin bread. I would make this again and add even a little more zest/lime juice to the batter."
"I didn't make this yet but have a question. Will it still be good if I make it the day before it's going to be eaten? Thanks."
"This is one of the most delicious and flavorful quick breads that I have ever tasted, and everyone who I have ever made this bread for just raves about it. It has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness, and it is a snap to make. However, I would recommend doubling the ingredients for the glaze, because IMHO there just isn't enough glaze otherwise to adequately glaze 2 loaves of this delicious and scrumptious bread."
"i cut the recipe in half cuz i only have 1 loaf pan. still kept the lime juice at 2 tablespoons tho. i used regular limes as key limes are not "sour" enough for my tastebuds. i had to taste it before it was cool because it smelled soooo good. great recipe. oh and i left out the walnuts."
"My husband liked it just fine, however, I thought it was dry."
"I used pecans instead of walnuts. This bread was so delicious, sent a loaf with my husband to work and kept the other for at home. Found the Key Lime juice for 2.99 at Giant. Will be making again soon, probably this week!"
"I've made this several times. It's easy and delicious! I usually put extra lime peel and lime juice in with no problems!"