Key Lime Bars Recipe
I love key lime pie, but some people are reluctant to take a whole slice of pie. These bars give just the right taste of key lime and freeze well, so I can keep a stash for when I need a tart treat. —Kristine Staton, Broomfield, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 30 vanilla wafers, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- KEY LIME LAYER:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, combine flour, wafers, confectioners' sugar and pecans; cover and process until nuts are fine. Add butter; cover and pulse until crumbly.
- 2. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla until blended; spread over crust to edges of pan. In another small bowl, combine sugar and flour; whisk in eggs and lime juice. Gently pour over cream cheese layer.
- 4. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled. Cut into bars. Just before serving, sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 bar equals 153 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC