Kentucky Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large sweet red and/or yellow peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place peppers upside down on paper towels; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes and juice aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the rice, mushrooms, ham, sugar, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomatoes; mix well. Loosely spoon into peppers.
- Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Pour reserved tomato juice over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Kentucky Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p45
Reviews for Kentucky Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2013
"Very nice summer recipe. Thank you for sharing!"
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2011
"Love, Love , Love this recipe -- It is my go to leftover ham recipe.... sometimes its my go buy ham to make this recipe..."
Reviewed May. 29, 2010
"very good and easy to make"