Kentucky Spoon Bread Recipe
This is a traditional Kentucky recipe. It’s a popular side dish served all year long. If you’ve never tried spoon bread before, I think you’ll find it’s tasty and comforting.
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, sugar, salt and remaining milk until smooth. Slowly whisk cornmeal mixture into hot milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle baking powder over the cornmeal mixture, then stir it in with the butter. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; stir in a small amount of hot cornmeal mixture. Return all to the pan and mix well.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until blended.
- 5. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 197 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Kentucky Spoon Bread
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2010
"What a great recipe for spoon"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC