Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwiches
Hot Brown Sandwiches are as popular in Kentucky as The Derby. Some recipes stack both turkey and ham, although we prefer it without ham. Paired with a side salad, this sandwich makes a hearty meal.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- 4 thin slices deli turkey
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 to 6 slices tomato
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;
- gradually stir in milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Place toast in a baking pan. Top each with 2 slices of turkey; spoon
- reserved white sauce over turkey. Top each with one cheese slice and
- 2-3 tomato slices. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.