I lived in an orphanage 50 years ago and helped out in the kitchen, Back then, I often made this wonderful coffee cake, dutifully following the recipe in the cookbook they used in that kitchen. Years later, when I saw Kate Smith on television, I realized that I had been using her cookbook to make this coffee cake. I was delighted to know I had been using one of Kate's favorite recipes!
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bran flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup bran flakes, crushed
- In a bowl, combine egg, butter and milk. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into batter. Add bran flakes. Spread into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until cake tests done. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Kate Smith Coffee Cake in Reminisce March/April 1993, p51
Reviews for Kate Smith Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review