- 4 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup roasted whole grain buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, saute onions and mushrooms in oil in a large skillet until lightly browned, about 9 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine buckwheat groats and egg in a small bowl; add to the same skillet. Cook and stir over high heat for 2-4 minutes or until buckwheat is browned, separating grains with the back of a spoon. Add the hot broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; add onion mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain pasta; add to pan and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Kasha Varnishkes in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p82
Reviews for Kasha Varnishkes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review