Kansas Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
We harvested wheat for 36 years, and I was the chief cook for the crew. This lightly textured wheat bread won an award at the Celebrate Kansas Wheat Bake-Off several years ago. —Linda Pauls, Buhler, Kansas
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, cottage cheese, potatoes, butter, milk, honey and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two flattened balls. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. With a sharp knife, make a shallow X-shaped cut in the top of each loaf. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 163 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC