- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, cottage cheese, potatoes, butter, milk, honey and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two flattened balls. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make a shallow X-shaped cut in the top of each loaf. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Kansas Whole Wheat Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p50
Reviews for Kansas Whole Wheat Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review