Kansas City-Style Ribs Recipe
Our family recipe for ribs has evolved to near perfection. These country-style beauties are a legend in our close circle. — Linda Schend, Kenosha, WI
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Grill: 1 hour 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons each ground cumin, coarsely ground pepper and cayenne pepper
- 12 bone-in country-style pork ribs (about 7 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and seasonings; sprinkle over ribs. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- 2. For sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 3. Wrap ribs in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until ribs are tender.
- 4. Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place ribs over direct medium heat; baste with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, 8-10 minutes or until browned, turning and basting occasionally with remaining sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
1 rib equals 453 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC