I love to entertain and I always receive requests for this dish. It's so easy to prepare.—Karen Rietenbach, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
- 2 bunches kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain kale and return to the pan. Stir in the mushroom mixture, beans, sugar and salt; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Kale with Portobellos in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p164
Reviews for Kale with Portobellos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 21, 2014
"This recipe is quick and easy. I added more mushrooms and garlic and used small white beans instead of great northern beans. I served this dish with ham. I think that if I were serving chicken or beef, I might substitute quinoa for the beans."