Kale with Bacon
The hearty bacon flavor in this side dish makes you forget that you're eating right. Seasoned with garlic, it's a great way to enjoy vitamin-rich kale. —Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 bunches kale, trimmed and torn
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cook
- for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick
- skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted
- spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon
- drippings. In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onion is
- Drain the kale; stir into onion mixture. Add the salt, pepper and
- reserved bacon; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.