Kale Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and tomato juice to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kale and cook for 3-4 minutes or until wilted.
- 3. Stir in pine nuts and currants; cook 2 minutes longer or until kale is tender. Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, peel, salt and pepper; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in quinoa. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Kale Quinoa Salad
"Very tasty, nutritious and pretty on a plate. I used tri-color quinoa just for a bit of a change from regular. I also used raisins instead of currants because I had them on hand, and sunflower seeds for pine nuts (due to allergies in the family). If making for over the holidays, I think I'll try using some dried cranberries. Will definitely make this again!"
"Excellent way to bring kale to the dinner table. We used plain 'ol raisins instead of the currents and sunflower kernels for the pine nuts (cheaper and provides same effect). Leftovers make great wraps when you add chopped chicken and a drizzling of creamy Caesar dressing (microwave about 30 seconds for 1100 watt oven and then fold up.)"