Kale Quinoa Salad Recipe
Here's a holiday side dish you can feel good about serving. Kale packs a mighty punch of vitamins, while quinoa delivers a hearty serving of protein. Best of all, the flavor can't be beat! —Lisa Warren, Washington, Washington DC
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and tomato juice to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kale and cook for 3-4 minutes or until wilted.
- 3. Stir in pine nuts and currants; cook 2 minutes longer or until kale is tender. Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, peel, salt and pepper; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in quinoa. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 190 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC