Kale and Sausage Soup
Several years ago, I had a dish in a local restaurant that was so good I was determined to duplicate it at home. I played with the recipe until I finally got it right. That gratifying experience sparked my interest in creating tasty dishes like this.John Croce Jr., Yarmouth, Massachusetts
10-12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 10 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and onions in oil for
- 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic; cook for 1
- minute longer. Add broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Add beans;
- heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Editor's Note: Fresh spinach may be used in place of kale. Add it along with the beans.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium,