Kale and Sausage Soup Recipe
Several years ago, I had a dish in a local restaurant that was so good I was determined to duplicate it at home. I played with the recipe until I finally got it right. That gratifying experience sparked my interest in creating tasty dishes like this.—John Croce Jr., Yarmouth, Massachusetts
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 10 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Add broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC