- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 10 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Add broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Kale and Sausage Soup
Sort By :
"Living in New Bedford , Mass. area all my life, I can tell you that This is basic Portuguese soup....I used chopped chourico in place of bulk sausage.....adjust seasonings to your taste as chourico can be spicy...serve with a crusty bread and side salad....healthy and delicious."
"I confess I did not try this recipe, but it's likely that the gentleman who submitted this recipe remembers having Portuguese Kale soup in the restaurant he mentions. His attempt to duplicate it includes most of the ingredients for this famous and wonderful dish. I suggest considering re-naming this recipe so it will be found when people are searching for the ethnic original."