Kale & Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions and potatoes in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the kale, broth, tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, paprika, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until kale is tender.
- 2. Cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, process 3 cups soup until smooth. Return to pan; add beans and heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 152 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.