"The story goes that when Austrian Kaiser Franz Josef's chef notices that he always broke his pancake into small pieces before eating it, he began serving it that way," related Erika.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Stewed plums or other fruit
- 1. Mix flour and milk to a thick paste. Add salt. Stir in 4 egg yolks and unsalted butter. Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff and fold into batter.
- 2. Melt 1/2 cup butter in 11-in. x 7-in. glass baking dish or a 12-in. round cast-iron pan. Pour in batter. Scatter raisins over top. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Using two forks, tear pancake into pieces and allow to steam for a moment. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with plums or other fruit. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 379 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Kaiserschmarren
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC