- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Stewed plums or other fruit
- 1. Mix flour and milk to a thick paste. Add salt. Stir in 4 egg yolks and unsalted butter. Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff and fold into batter.
- 2. Melt 1/2 cup butter in 11-in. x 7-in. glass baking dish or a 12-in. round cast-iron pan. Pour in batter. Scatter raisins over top. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Using two forks, tear pancake into pieces and allow to steam for a moment. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with plums or other fruit. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 379 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Kaiserschmarren
"This is a family favorite at our house. We particularly enjoy it with a side of homemade cinnamon applesauce."