Kaiser Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Poppy and/or sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on tops of rolls.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 each: 225 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Kaiser Rolls
"I was so excited to try these. I followed the recipe and everything was great until I cut the crosses on top. They deflated! Why did these rolls need a cross cut with scissors? I think they would have come out great without cutting a cross on them. We still ate them and the taste was okay. We used them for pulled pork sandwiches. Next time, I will not cut them. Did this happen to anyone else?"
"The best!!! I like Big sandwiches so I only make 12 instead of 16..."
"My son claims these are the best buns on earth! I have to agree."
"I really liked them, much better than the ones you get in the store ! but it is a lot of work unfortunately."
"I made this a few times and it came out okay but today I used mostly warm milk and a little water and made the rolls very big and they came out like big, fluffy diner rolls. I am so thrilled that I was able to achieve this ? so milk is my new alteration and staying. Great base for so many rolls. Thanks!"
"I made these and despite a critical mistake they still turned out well! I added the egg white in with the dough, which is why I suspect i got very very sticky dough after I punched down the risen dough. Then the 2nd rise was very low and resulted in somewhat flat bread but it was still good! Anyone else have trouble with "stickiness" or was it just the egg white? I plan to try again and do this the right way but just wondering... :)"
"What a terrific roll! My wife loves it when I make these. She just walked in from Yoga and got all excited seeing them rising LOLI use all organic ingredients, including organic yeast and substitute Organic Chia seeds for the poppy seeds just because I haven't found organic yet lolIt's a solid recipe, good roll. I prefer a very fluffy roll, so this batch I am letting the second rise go a little longer to see if that gets it for me. That's not to say these aren't well 'fluffed' lol. I grew up on Wonder bread so I like the little extra lol"
"Tried this recipe for the first time, but cut it in half because I didn't need 16. Unfortunately, I forgot to move the oven rack to the middle position, and scorched the bottoms! But the part that WAS edible--AMAZING! Light, perfect 'chewy' factor, wonderful flavor! Am making these again for French Dip this weekend! Yum!"
"The rolls were too small for true kaiser rolls. Next time I will make fewer. Otherwise they were very tasty."
"Love these...I made them for hamburgers and they were amazing!! Will definitely make these again... and Hit with the family too."
"THESE ARE AMAZING.My mother makes them all the time...she made them yesterday, infact, but they are already all gone! She just finished a fresh batch, and I'm sure they'll go just as quickly. They're light, fluffy, and not too sweet. Totes def a keeper!!"
"This was a wonderful recipe it neead onions in stead of the seeds and a lil more salt but urs are really good jst my whay i made it 2nd yea 2nd urs is defently 1st love iott<333333"
"very tasty rolls ;i found i needed more time to work the dough and take out the salt other then that well worth the effort this was a first for me i've only have made bread &bagels never rolls"
"Very light and fluffy--but with a slight crisp on top! I've made them multiple times, and they're always delicious! They puff up a whole lot during the second rising, though, so made the original balls very small, or you'll have gigantic rolls (which isn't always a bad thing =] )"
"Made 1st time for daughter's birthday party. Everyone loved them - a keeper!"
"I've maid them several times now and the wife,kids and I love them thx. for the res. PETE"